Owners Login
E-mail
Password





You are in: Home Accommodations Bed & Breakfasts in Sicily Convento Dei Padri Cappuccini (Francavilla di Sicilia)

Bed & Breakfasts: Convento Dei Padri Cappuccini

Country: Messina | Town: Francavilla di Sicilia | Views: 14085

* 1 Stars

Bed & Breakfasts Convento Dei Padri Cappuccini ### THE CHURCH
The convent dates back to the 16 century, 1570 to be exact. lt was built by order of Viscount Antonio Balsamo who financed its construction. Later on it was restructured and enriched thanks to the generosity of the Ruffo family.
The convent has retained its origina! architecture with windows in the cells stoke - hole shaped, according to the specification of the most ancient capuchin constructions.
The door and window jambs are in sandstone. Many friars lived in the convent in the l7th century, so a second floor was built. On a wall of the staircase there is a fresco by Friar Feliciano Guarcena from Messina (16 10-1663) “the Guardian Angel”. Friar Feliciano was called “the Raphael of the Capuchins” because he imitated so superbly the art of the great Italian painter.
From the convent there are great views of Motta Camastra, the nearby town, where many scenes of the first Godfather movie were filrned, the Alcantara Valley and the sea of Giardini - Naxos.
Jus around the territory of the convent, lune 20, 1719 the Spanish and Austrian armies fought the greatest baule of contemporary Sicily. The deads of the two arniies were more than 15.000. A museum of the Franciscan testimony is open on the ground floor.
It is the religious piace with the most interesting works of art in the Alcantara Valley.
“The stigmata ofSaint Francis”, of the l6th century. The unknown author follows the pictorial art of Giotto.
“Annunciation of the Fle,nish School”. A canvas with a Sicilian theme. The Sicilitude is easly gathered from the expression of the protagonists in the painting.
“Ecce homo”. A canvas well preserved. Tt is the work of Friar Sebastiano da Gratteri who, as written on the upper part of the painting, brought on canvas a vision he had while saying mass.
He was the fifth capuchin in Siciiy. Died at the end of the 16 century. He made his colors with herbs and pounded bricks.
Altar - piece with “Madonna andAngels musicians”. This canvas dates back to the 17 century. It is the work of two different painters.

### MADONNA DELLE PRECI CHAPEL
This was the funerhry chapeffor the family ofViscount Antonio Balsamo and the Ruffo family. Jacopo Ruffo restored it. In his will he bequeathed a large sum of money and named Innocenzio Magnani, a Fiorentine goldsmith, to embeHish it. He aiso designated the artist who had to carry out the work. The artist was probabiy Friar Antonino della Rocca from Messina. He worked the “Caxarizzo” (the essential wooden parts) in the oid sacristy. The shrine is in carved wood, painted to have a marbie eftèct; in the littie showcases there are the relics of saints and in the Iower part littie saints on parchments. In the center there is the canvas showing the “Madonna Odogitria”. It is the travelers’ Madonna. Most probabiy it beiongs to the Antonelio da Messina schooi. The altar and the frontal are testimony of the creativity of the “genious of inlay work”, Friar Mariano Tatì from Francavilla. The aitar is embroidered with delicate fiorai inlays in light colors, tender green grass and thom petals. Dated: 1848.

### THE HIGH ALTAR
The shrine, in walnut, is painted marbie - like. It dates back to the 7 century. In the upper part there is God, creator of the world. Many art teachers have said that it Iooks like a painting by Goya.
On the two siØes there are canvases showing Saint Barbara and Saint Venera, which date to the 17 century; in the center there is a wood statue of the Immaculate, a sculpture of the I8 century. It is taller than 2,5 metres. The altar and the frontal are in walnut.
Both are the excellent work of “Giuseppe Torrisi from Catania who designed it and made it”.
In the frontal, in half relief sculpture, there is Saint Francis supported by four Angels. In the l9th century Friar Vincenzo Bruno from Catania wanted to give the
altar a richer look placing in the relief mirrors the four Evangelists, Melchisedech and the sacrifice ofAbraham.

### WHAT IS A MUSEUM?
It is the compendium of History. History, in its general outline, tells about human events, develops the ideas which have given origin to facts, compares thern and explains the reason that bave urged men of a particular period of time to act in a particular way.
History is known as a “teacher of life”, but it is a silent teacher!


The museum, on the contrary, is the cornpendium of history: a talking teacher, because every bit, every object, talks and tells about an age, near or far, often veiled with pain and sorrow, but in any case with love. Every museum piece is a “memento” in the mernory of the visitor. Even ifhe does not know the obiect, an impulse takes bis mmd to a past time; his rnernory opens and sees a life interwoven with simple and humble things, rich of humanity and accepted and wanted as something real without problems.


The rnuseurn is the mirror of life! The mirror of “folk wisdom” or of “the Franciscan testirnony” into which the two experiences complement each other spendidly. The Friars irnrnersed in their conventual enviorment carne from that type of civilization, very congenial to them. The plain pumpkins were used as eontainers into which
the farmer - frair wouid jealously keep his seeds; they were bedded in winter and in Aprii, when the tirst showers feli, as littie plants they were given to the benefactors. The befactors furnished wheat and must to the convent; for this reason wineskins, pitchers, jars and smali demijohns are useful when they need them. (From the volume: Frati Cappuccini)
The botanical Garden Is a tradition for the Capuchin Friars. Interesting “officinai plants” to prepare liquors, infusion and tisanes make a good show dose to the milfoil, the rue, the calamint, the licorice, the spear grass, the laurel, the lemongrass etc. It is the farmer-friar who takes care of ali the plants. Re beds and waters them; he prunes them in order to•have a greener and richer garden. These plants grow along the wood-path that from the convent leads to the “Spanish Watchtower”, mingling with the Iuxuriant Mediterranean vegetation.

### WHO ARE THE CAPUCHINS?
They are a branch of the great Franciscan tree founded by friar Matteo da Bascio in 1525. Tn the past century Vincenzo Gioberti defined them “the people’s friars”.
Alessandro Manzoni, author of “I Promessi Sposi” wrote: “They Ùved in such a condition that nothing was Pio low or too high for them. A Capuchin was accustomed to almost anything: serving the needy and be served by the mighty; visiting palaces and hovels with humble behaviour and assitrance; being within the same house apastime object or someone without whom nothing couid be decided; begging and giving all to those who asked for help; anybody could have a cappuccino”. A century and a half later Manzoni’s statement is stili true.
Capuchins such as Saint Leopoldo Mandic, for aimost half a century confessor in Padua, Padre Pio da Pietrelcina “the friar with stigmata in Gargano”, Padre Mariano da Torino “the apostle of television” have all set the stages and the hopes for the Cristian world. There are about 13.000 (thirteen thousands) friars throughout all continents.
They extend the boundaries of the Reign of God by being faithful to the Gospel and a testirnony to Saint Francis.
They Uve in the most distant places of the world with evangeli c ai humbleness and simplicity. Their presence is a sermon for everyone; it is, as Pope Paui VT° said:
“as a spirituai shock whieh reminds ali men, busy and worried in our society, that there higher values to which aspire and a better life to live”.

### THE SACRISTRY
t is Friar Mariano’s masterpiece. perfect. It is refined in its smallest details; superior to reality because it is livelier, more complete. It is an embroidery work; •and animals interwine splendidly. Very infinitesimal. Perfect and firm design. swan-song of this wonderful friar. It dates: 1859

Services Services

The rooms are equipped with independent heating Reading Room We accept groups of customers Fax service available Unguarded parking The property has a park or a garden English Italian Language The company is located where the area has good coverage for mobile H3G The company is located where the area has good coverage for mobile TIM The company is located where the area has good coverage for mobile WIND


Photo album Photo album

Info and contactsInfo and contacts

Telephone: 0942/981017

Mobile Phone: 338/9418324

Fax: 0942/981017

E-mail: info@cappuccinifrancavilla.it

Website: http://www.cappuccinifrancavilla.it/

Google MapGoogle Map


Facebook commentsFacebook comments









La pagina ha impiegato 0.0450 secondi